1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter, softened
3 cups flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
2 teaspoons salt
1 egg, separated
3/4 cup baking soda Sel Gris Sea Salt for sprinkling
Bon Cook Products Used
Flexipan medium round mold, large bonmat, large perf, sel gris
1. In FLEXIPAN® Round Mold, combine water, milk and butter for about 45 seconds in microwave, until melted and warm. Set aside. In Mixing Bowl, combine flour, sugar, yeast, salt and egg yolk. Gradually add milk mixture and mix until dough comes together in a coarse ball. If it seems to dry, add a teaspoon of water. Mix or knead until the dough is smooth and springy, about 5 minutes.
2. Place dough in Mixing Bowl coated with cooking spray, flipping it over so the top is oiled too. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise until doubled, about an hour.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and place oven rack in center position. Place BONMAT™ on Perforated Baking Sheet and set aside. Shape the dough into desired pieces and place onto BONMAT™, cover with a clean dish towel and set aside to rest. While the dough is resting, begin heating 12 cups of water in a large pot. When it comes to a gentle boil, slowly add the baking soda. It will foam and bubble vigorously.
4. Working in batches, add the rested pieces of dough to the simmering water, poaching them for 30 seconds, then flipping them over for another 30 seconds. You may need to do this in two batches. Using a slotted spoon or spatula, lift and place poached buns on BONMAT™. Froth egg white with a fork, then brush each loaf with egg white. Using the Santoku Chef Knife, make 2 slits across the top about 1/4 inch deep. Sprinkle with salt and bake for 20 minutes or until deep brown.
5. Cool on Cooling Rack. Pretzel bread is best eaten the day they're baked.
Active Time: 35
Total Time: 115
8-10 servings Servings